Firstly, in the event of a simple complaint, an incident or formal claim being made against you please contact us without delay. We will run through the background information that has led to this issue in order to fully understand and advise you on this issue. If it is something covered then we will ensure that you are kept updated every step of the way.
The insurance market writes Medical Malpractice policies for indemnity on a ‘claims made basis’. This means that you are indemnified for claims first made against you during the current period of insurance arising out of Wrongful Acts committed. Coverage may be limited to Wrongful Acts committed since a specified date (referred to as the ‘retroactive date’) which is normally the date you first buy Medical Malpractice insurance.
Please ensure that you are able to provide the following backup documentation
- Keep all your patient notes for a minimum of 7 years
- Always take pre and post-operative photographs of the patient
- Ensure that consent forms must be signed and dated
In the event of an issue:
- Do not disclose the involvement of your insurers
- Definitely do not admit liability
- Any correspondence to/from the patient must be submitted to insurers as soon as received
Under your policy it is a condition that notifications requires that at your first awareness of any claim or complaint against you it must be reported to your insurers within the specified time. Failure to do so may prejudice the cover available to you.